Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snowflake Mandala



Last weekend, during "Light in Winter", Ithaca's science and art festival, I attended a delightful lecture on snow crystals. It was by Kenneth Libbrecht. I have his book and it is filled with many wonderful pictures of snowflakes.
I have always been fascinated by snowflakes. Their beautiful radial symmetry make them a natural subject to incorporate into a mandala.
Years ago I made a number of drawings of snowflakes for a project. I used an old book of snowflakes by William Bentley. It contained thousands of photographs of snowflakes by the Vermont farmer. Made nearly a hundred years ago, this collection of microphotographs was an amazing achievement.
I was glad to find my drawings, and made this mandala using one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment